Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and savior Jesus Christ
2 Peter 3:18

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Neosporin & Coban


What are . . . two smells that now absolutely nauseate me?

In case I haven't seen you in a couple of days, my right hand is covered in the above and the smell of both is driving me nuts! Last Thursday night I was cooking and terribly burned my right hand.




FAQ's:



1. What, were you deep frying something?

No, I had 2 tbls of olive heating in a skillet. When I put our pork chops in to cook them, they immediately began sizzling and all of the oil came back out on my hand.

2. Does it hurt/can you take pain meds?

What do you think and yes. Actually, the pain is not too bad, now. It was awful that night, but by the next morning the 1st degree burns were completely better and a left over pain pill from Miller's birth took care of the pain while I slept. I'm taking nothing now as there's very little pain. Only the areas where skin has peeled up and the new skin underneath is still raw.

3. Did you get it in cold water quickly?

Yes, but unfortunately the worst part of the burn burned so fast and deep that by the time I had gotten to the sink the part that was the worst had already lost feeling. So I was concentrating on getting the part that hurt in water, not realizing that a whole section was crispifing right in front of me. When I did turn my hand over and saw the rest of the burn I immediately got it under the water as well. I kept it under for probably another 10-15 minutes and then off and on for another 20 or so- it was the only way to not be in agonizing pain.

4. It's a good thing your father-in-law's a hand surgeon, I bet he's been a lot of help.

He was great the hour after it happened. He came over and got the hand well dressed. Then he hopped on plane for Hawaii not to be seen for two weeks. Really- enjoy your trip, no need to feel guilty that you left your grandchildren with a wounded mommy. (just kidding, I really do hope y'all are having a FABULOUS time :) His nurses were also a huge help the next day. They called to see if I needed any help getting it re-dressed and even got to see it at its worst and drain the ridiculously large blister that had formed by then.

5. So it's a good thing your mom's in town, bet she's been a lot of help.

Yes she came over first thing Friday morning and stayed with us most of the day. Which was a huge help because I couldn't hold anything in my right hand except the afore mentioned ridiculously large blister. Unfortunately that day and everyday since she's really been feeling under the weather, so we've tried our best to stay away and let her get some much needed rest. Hope the black lung heals soon, Mom.

6. Was it your right hand or left?
Right

7. So, you can't do anything can you?

Well, I'm sort of bi-lingual. I can do a lot more with my left hand than you'd think. So far so good.
8. How big is it?

The lower half of my palm and the upper part of my wrist with a few small spots on the top of my arm.
9. Do you need any help?

I really appreciate all the offers we've received. We have great friends that are actually still calling to bring meals to help out with the new baby and others that are bringing us seconds from the meals they've made for another friend who has recently had a baby. It's so wonderful to have such a family of friends that have been able to step in when our family has been out of pocket regardless of the fact that they themselves have small children, babies and busy lives. We love and really appreciate you all!! All that to say, we're well taken care of for now. My biggest frustration right now is getting out to run errands with both kids and only one hand. So far Phil's been able to take care of things on his way home from work, but I might take someone up on some child care at some point!

10. How long will you be in a bandage?

I wish I knew!
11. Make sure you keep it clean.
Okay, I'll stop rubbing stuff in it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh how I wish I was there to help in so many ways! I'm praying for your hand to heal quickly and I'm so grateful that your friends have all pitched in to help you! Love, Aunt ash