Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and savior Jesus Christ
2 Peter 3:18

Thursday, January 24, 2008

How we are doing . . .


We have had many calls, emails, and blog comments with well wishes and wondering "how are you doing?". I have finally gotten a positive report from my doctor, so I feel much more confident blogging- "We're doing MUCH better". The past two weeks have been a bit full with a 3 three year old with the 2nd ear infection of his life and a terrible cold, a newborn (that would be enough but . . .) a newborn with an apparent intolerance to lactose, a daddy with a yucky cold, and a mom with a Cesarean incision that has just not wanted to close. But now, after an arsenal of antibiotics, antihistamines, decongestants, steroids, a few cans of Enfamil Pro Sobee, half a bottle of Mylycon, four trips to the OB to be "repacked", a month of skipping the church nursery to avoid this, and a week of missing school to not get worse, I think we are on our way to a new normal very soon. I say new normal, because I'm getting to the stage of new parenthood where I coming to the realization that what I used to think was normal will never be again. And that's okay- adding a new family member can't be done without shaking things up a bit.

Anyway, Wilson's cough is sounding much better. Phil seems almost normal- which may or may not be concerning- Just teasing!! His shot seemed to have made him a much happier person. To spare the weak of stomach, I'll be short on details of my woes the past few days. The "light" version is that a pocket of fluid had accumulated due to surgery and chose the path of least resistance (my incision) for escape. Today my doctor thought my incision finally seemed well enough to leave alone, so hopefully I won't see her again for another 2 weeks. Miss Millie was up over her birth weight at her 2 week check up and impressed her doctor with her strength and ability to hold up her head. She has rolled over twice and when angered she can backwards scoot out of her diaper (and thereby wetting her mamma's side of the bed) and twice out of her gown. That temper must come from the Ethridge side, we Wilson's are always in complete control ;)! Miller's tummy seems much better with the new formula and she has not had the hours on end crying spells that she was having. The pediatrician doesn't think she has an allergy and felt like she'd probably be a better baby in a couple of months without making any changes, but went on and had us switch formulas to see if it would help in the mean time to make life a little easier. And it has. She ate at about 9:30 last night, 2:30 this morning and then again at 6:30, all with little to no crying. Now, she did throw up causing me and her to need new pj's in the middle of the night and she did have an explodo-poop diaper at my doctor's office today. From the later experience I learned if they put you in an exam room to change a diaper- one large latex glove will hold an entire 3 piece poopy baby outfit. But I digress.

So onward and upward for the Ethridges . . .



We might need to up our contribution to the medical cafe plan!

What a great way to spend a sick day . . . camped out in your tent with dad watching Sesame Street clips on his new iPod touch

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's nothing like "making the turn" for the better is there?! P2hasn't been much help of late. We're glad to hear that things are finally on the up and up for y'all. At least Miller is gaining now--trying to keep up with her cousin! So glad you're better!
P2

laura said...

oh my goodness, it sounds like a rough time! so sorry!! i'm thinking of you all and hoping you are on the "up" side of all those not so fun things.

Mommy of Tyler and Chase said...

Maggie...You are an incredible mother! To hold it all together with all that going on, you should give yourself a big round of applause! I loved the picture of all the medicine/survival tools above! I continue to pray for your new family, every day and every week brings more routine and normalcy! Good night..Colin

ragan said...

Wow, I had no idea all of this was happening...at the SAME TIME! I'm so glad to hear y'all are on the up and up!

The Kosko Family said...

i had heard things were a bit crazy at your house and plus eliza kate has had a runny nose of her own, so we haven't gotten by to see miss miller.....we can't wait to meet her though....