Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and savior Jesus Christ
2 Peter 3:18

Friday, August 31, 2007

This is for you Lori-

hope you get a minute to read it!

Lori is a friend of mine that I met in my former, pre babies, life when I was working. After years of claiming she and her husband beyond a shadow of doubt, would never, ever have children, they are joyfully expecting their first baby a couple of days after Shu Shu is due! In response to an email I sent her wishing her well and letting her know how excited I was that a wind of change had blown her way, she replied that I was such a GREAT mom, and should offer workshops, and blahba-dee, blah, blah, blah. I have not replied to that email, because quite frankly I am overwhelmed by the praise and find it quite misplaced. So Lori, just in case my greatness is casting to big of a shadow in your general Floridian direction, here goes. . .

I had cheeze-its, brownie bite cookies, and a coke for breakfast. I yelled at my dog and banished him to his crate for scooting his behind across the floor thereby leaving a trail- someone needs to invent doggie toilet paper. Wilson is watching Toy Story 2 for the second time today- it's only 10:15. I cried this morning because thinking up something to wear was just too overwhelming (I decided on a t-shirt and sweat pants- an outfit worthy of a melt down). So, this my dear friend, is how I respond to the marathon of all parenting challenges- spending the entire night in your child's bed while he cries out in his sleep every half hour for you (who is RIGHT THERE) due to a high fever.

Here's how Wilson has greeted his day- no fever, down from 104 less than 12 hours ago. Watching a movie, eating his breakfast, running to me, thrilled to pieces that he "finally" found the picture of the the Radiator Springs sign in his Cars book. It has sound buttons to match certain pictures placed in the story line. He can now push the sign button. I had no idea that he had been on the hunt for this wily Where's Waldo of illustrations, but he's in there "reading" right now (which means pushing each button as he comes to it on the page) and he came running in here and in an astonished voice said, "Mamma, I FINALLY found that sign, I found that picture of the sign!". I, having no idea what he was talking about, of course had to follow him into the den to relish in the discovery with him.

All of this just makes me want to look at him and say, "Were you THERE last night!? How in the name of WHATEVER do you have the clarity to make new discoveries and the energy to RUN to tell anyone about them. How can you be WELL! We were in the same twin sized bed, right? That was you feverishly crying, whining, chattering, and flailing around ALL NIGHT LONG like a crazy person, right?"

Maybe not. Maybe I'm the crazy one. We all know our own mom's are a little nuts, maybe I've just finally turned the corner.

So, Lori, I'm calling off the workshop today and your homework won't be due until next week- I've got hot dogs and cheez-wiz to cook up for lunch. And if I'm not in class on Monday, call Whitfield, I'll be in the pretty padded cell singing Woody's Round-Up (Wilson's new favorite song, that we play on repeat).

2 comments:

laura said...

well, i know this was for your friend, lori, but i certainly enjoyed reading it too. those "up all night" nights do me in, too. you are a obviously a great mom since wilson is so happy! hope your weekend is a restful.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Maggie - you're not off the Super Mom Pedestal that easy! I've seen you in action and you religiously keep up with this blog... I'VE even read your reviews of books/games/toys on amazon.com!!! There's no denying it - you're doing a SUPER JOB!! And I'm signed up for all your classes! Lori-Mommy-to-Be <3 p.s. I LOVE the name you picked!!! It's precious... Can't wait to be in Jackson and see you!