Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and savior Jesus Christ
2 Peter 3:18

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Lessons on Love from a Three Year Old

Mom is extremely frustrated with her son's "quirks" and her daughter's inability to be left alone for more that 2 minutes and has been stomping around and short tempered. Mom has run away to her room to fold laundry, still frustrated with one small, blond headed boy. The blond head appears at the door. "Mom, do you need any help?" He puts away some folded laundry.

Mom is trying to finish the chores she desperately wants to get done while a little brunette is screaming in the background. Little man notices a bottle poured, but still sitting on the kitchen counter. "Mom, I'll just go feed Miller, okay?"

Mom's hormones and frustration have reduced her to tears, so she has yet again retreated to her room to gain composure. Three year old again appears at the door and asks a question to which mom gives a short answer. Three year old asks if mom is sick because her voice sounds funny. Mom says no that she's just sad. He ask why and she says she doesn't really know. "Mom can I come get in your bed and just pat you for a little while?"

Mom's trying to get out the door to Bible study and is taking the baby with her. The boys are staying home. The younger boy asks where Mom is going and she tells him, baby carrier in one hand, bag in the other. "Mom I'll get the door for you." He opens the back door and then scurries to the car ahead of her. "Now I'll just open Miller's door for you. Now, I'll just get your door for you."

Mom is trying to get dressed one morning and have maybe 5 minutes of privacy. For the ONE HUNDREDTH time she tells her son, "NO YOU CAN NOT COME IN HERE. I'll come out when I'm dressed and when I'm ready!" "Um, Mom?" "WHAT!!?" "Do you need anything?" "Hhhhhh, no. (unless you can replace my tired, cold heart with yours, Sweet Baby)."

Dad asks son if maybe he'd like to go to Walmart and look at the cars and maybe let Dad know which ones he likes best. That way if son ever needs a special treat Dad will know what to get. Son thinks this is a great idea, but then says, "know what Dad, I have lots of cars, maybe I'll pick one out for Mom instead."

There are many more, that have sadly escaped me before I could get them written down. Hopefully, I'll remember them and can add them later.

Happy Valentines Day, everyone- especially to the little boy who shows immeasurably more love to me than I ever do to him- thanks for the great lessons. I love you (and your daddy & sister, too!)!

4 comments:

Beth said...

One more for your memory book----Wilson and I were making some valentines. He was busy cutting and gluing. When he had finished one for him Mom,I asked if he wanted me to write "To Mom" on the top. He replied, "No thanks, there's just one mom!"

The Kosko Family said...

ok..i am crying...seriously....

Anonymous said...

What a joy to have Wilson minister to his mama! We love you all and wish you a wonderful and peaceful Valentines day. Love, Aunt Ash

Jessica QW said...

He is so sweet!